How to stand out when applying for jobs
How to stand out when applying for a job
One of the first things I would recommend is to write a covering letter.
So what’s the importance of a covering letter?
A cover letter can set you apart from other candidates. In today’s competitive job market, it is essential to do just that.
I am seeing more and more CVs sent without a covering letter.
Lazy habits e.g. using iPhone and tablets mean we can just attach and send.
However, no matter how in depth your CV is, it’s not enough to tell your whole story to potential employers.
A well written covering letter will allow you to sell yourself and show your unique personality. It provides an opportunity for you to explain why you are suitable for the job and highlight your skills and relevant experience.
It is essential to read the job description and tailor your covering letter appropriately.
Key points to remember:
• Always proofread your cover letter and don’t forget to spell check it.
• Ask a friend or colleague to check it for you.
• Make sure to keep it professional
• Keep all points relevant to the actual job you are applying for.
• It’s what matter to the employer that’s important and not what matters to you.
• Always send a covering letter even if you are not asked for one.
The impressions employers have when they see CVs with no covering letter.
• Too lazy to write one.
• Just another job to fire a CV to.
• It’s too much effort having to write a covering letter when applying from my phone.
• No real interest in the job (some can’t even remember where they have applied to)
• You have poor written communication skills and can’t write one.
• Any of these assumptions will rule you out.
So, remember if you want to stand out from the crowd, you need to write a covering letter.
Need help with your CV and covering letter contact Cathy on email@example.com